Calamari-Style Alba Clamshell Mushrooms
- 1 quart lightly salted boiling water
- 2 cups (about 1/2 pound) Alba Clamshell™ mushrooms
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced finely
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaf, or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Blanch mushrooms in salted water for three minutes. Drain, shake off excess water and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a broad skillet over medium flame, sauté the garlic, mushrooms and red bell pepper for three or four minutes. While still warm add the lemon juice, thyme and red onion. Season to taste with salt and pepper. May be served warm or cold as an appetizer or on top of grilled fish.
Side Note: The pearly white color and mild shellfish character of the Alba Clamshell makes this the perfect mushroom to use to make vegetarian calamari.