Sweet Forest Nameko Mushroom Custard Tart
For the Poaching Syrup:
- 1 cup each honey, water and sugar
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- Thin slivers of zest from an orange
- Bring to boil and reduce to simmer, cook fifteen minutes. Strain out zest and spices. Be Careful! The syrup is HOT and sticky!
- Return to stove and add:
For the Mushroom:
- 1 1/2 cups whole Forest Nameko mushrooms
- Simmer three minutes.
- Remove mushrooms with slotted spoon and lay out to cool.
For the Tart Shell:
- 1 1/4 cups pastry flour
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tb. butter
- 2 Tablespoons cider vinegar
For the Custard:
- 1 cup cream or half-and-half
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup strained poaching syrup
- Blend dry ingredients, cut in butter to make a course meal. Sprinkle with cider vinegar and mix very lightly and quickly.
- Press into a lightly greased, 9" drop-bottom tart pan. Press heavy duty foil into top of shell. Bake in 375 degree oven for 15-20 minutes, or until edges lightly brown.
- Remove foil. Spread drained poached mushrooms on bottom of shell. Reserve eight large mushrooms for garnish.
- Mix all custard ingredients, pour over mushrooms in shell and bake again until custard is set, about 25 minutes more.