Velvet Pioppini Pasta Salad with Coppa and Parmesan
- ½ pound pasta
- 2 quarts lightly salted water
- ¼ cup olive oil, for sauté
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 8 ounces Velvet Pioppini™ mushrooms, stem cut on an angle into ¼ inch pieces, caps sliced thinly
- ¼ cup olive oil, additional
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Italian parsley, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 ounces coppa, thinly-sliced, then cut into strips
- 2 ounces parmesan, shaved
- Cook pasta in lightly salted water until just al dente. Rinse under cold water until cool.
- Meanwhile sauté the garlic and mushrooms over medium heat for about four minutes using the first quarter cup of olive oil. Add cooked mushrooms and all the remaining ingredients except the parmesan cheese to the pasta.Toss well.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Garnish with shaved parmesan before serving.
A new twist on a perennial favorite. For visual appeal and to hold the seasonings, chose a pasta with an interesting shape, my favorite is creste di gallo, rooster’s crest, or substitute penne rigate. (Coppa is Italian dry-cured pork shoulder. Substitute prosciutto)