Maitake Mushroom Tacos
Makes 8. Serves 2-4
- 8 oz. Maitake Frondosa™ mushrooms
- 1 bunch green onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 Tb. olive oil
- 1 bunch Tuscan Kale or ½ small green cabbage (about two cups, measured after chopping)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- 8 corn tortillas
- ¼ cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 cup cotijo cheese
- Chipotle salsa (or other salsa of your choice)
- Chop the Maitake Frondosa into pieces the size of an almond. Cut the whole green onion (green and white parts) into thin slices. Mince the garlic. Sauté all these in olive oil over medium heat until mushrooms begin to brown a little.
- Add cumin, salt and pepper, stir, then add kale (or cabbage) and ¼ cup water. Cover, reduce heat, and steam for 8 minutes. Remove lid and continue to stir until all water is evaporated. You want the greens to be completely wilted.
- Warm tortillas and fill with the mushroom mixture, top with salsa, cheese and fresh cilantro. The smoky flavor of the chipotle salsa is a particularly good match for the mushroom’s flavor.
Variations: Drained black beans will boost the protein content. Stir into mixture and warm thoroughly when lid is removed at the end.
If you have leftover roasted corn on the cob, cut the kernels off and add for a sweet and flavorful hit.
You can substitute minced Trumpet Royale mushrooms, or a mix of chopped Mycopia mushrooms, for the Maitake Frondosa.