Mushroom Risotto with Pickled Kimchee Brown Clamshell Mushrooms
This wonderful dish was prepared at an American Harvest Workshop at Cakebread Cellars by Chef Stephan Oakley of Oakley’s Bistro, Indianapolis, Indiana.
The dish is involves three separate elements (four if your count the elephant garlic chips), any of which is marvelous on its own, and all of which together are magnificent.
- 4 oz. prepared kimchee, pureed
- 4 oz. rice wine vinegar
- 4 oz. white wine
- 1 lb. clamshell mushrooms, quartered
- Bring liquid to a boil, add mushrooms and turn off heat. Cover and cool.
Honey Crème Fraiche
- 1 T. honey
- 1 c. crème fraiche
- lemon juice & zest to taste
- Combine ingredients for honey crème fraiche in a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- 6-8 cloves elephant garlic
- 3 c. milk
- vegetable oil
- Slice garlic real thin and add to milk. Allow to sit in the milk for 2 hours.
- Heat a small pot with vegetable oil to 325°F. Fry until crisp, reserve.
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 c. arborio rice
- ½ c. white wine
- 3-4 c. mushroom broth, or chicken stock
- 1 lb. assorted MYCOPIA mushrooms, chopped (Trumpet Royale, Maitake Frondosa, Velvet Pioppini)
- 2-3 T. butter
- ¼ c. Parmesan cheese
- kosher salt to taste
- fresh pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp. chopped Italian parsley
- micro greens
- Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until soft. Add the rice and toss to coat.
- Add the wine reduce until dry. Start adding mushroom broth 2 ounces at a time until rice is tender.
- Finish with the butter and Parmesan cheese off the heat. Season with salt, pepper, lemon juice and fresh herbs.
- To serve, place a large spoonful of risotto in the center of a warm bowl, top with a small spoonful of pickled mushrooms and garnish with a few garlic chips and micro greens. Drizzle with Honey Crème Fraiche.