Trumpet Royale “French Dip” with Marsala Jus
Special thanks to Duskie Estes at Zazu Restaurant, a former Iron Chef contestant and a great fan of mushrooms for this wonderful recipe.
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 cup marsala
- 2 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock if you prefer)
- 1/2 pound trumpet royale, porcini, or other cool mushroom, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 cup crème fraiche, we use bellwether farms
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 lemon
- 1 bunch arugula
- 1 loaf rustic bread sliced 1/2 inch thick, we use della fattoria
- olive oil for grilling
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- To make the jus, in a small sauce pan on medium high heat, open shallots in a tablespoon of olive oil until fragrant, a few minutes. Add the marsala and reduce by 1/2. Add the chicken stock and reduce by 1/2. Season with salt and pepper.
- To make the horseradish crème fraiche, in a small bowl, combine the crème fraiche, horseradish, a little fresh squeezed lemon, and salt and pepper.
- To put the sandwiches together, fire up your grill. When the grill is hot, grill the bread and mushrooms with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread the bread with the crème fraiche, top with arugula, grilled mushrooms, and another slice of bread.
- Serve with a bowl of the marsala jus for dipping.
Duskie writes: "This sandwich is a vegetarian version of the french dip. It showcases the unique flavor of the Trumpet Royale from Gourmet Mushrooms. We also make this using Mendocino porcini when they arrive at our backdoor."