Pickled Velvet Pioppini with Sesame and Tamari from Zazu Restaurant
Iron Chef contestant Duskie Estes says she gets constant requests for this recipe, and now - here it is! Other mushrooms that would work well would be Alba Clamshell or Brown Clamshell. For these varieties or for Velvet Pioppini, mushrooms can be left whole, or halved. For larger mushrooms, like Trumpet Royale, slice thinly.
- 4 cups Velvet Pioppini(tm), about 12 ounces.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup tamari
- 1 cup rice wine vinegar
- a pinch szechaun peppercorn
- 4 fresh ginger coins
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Bring water, sugar, tamari, vinegar, peppercorns, ginger to a boil in a non-reactive pan.
- Pour on top of cleaned mushrooms. Stir in sesame seeds.
- Ready to eat once they cool! Refrigerated these will last up to a month.