Mushroom and Walnut Pâté
This recipe comes to us from our friends at the California Walnut Board. www.walnut.org
We love mushrooms and walnuts. The flavors are great together. We think this recipe is best suited for our Maitake Frondosa or Trumpet Royale varieties and suggest pulsing the mushrooms in a food processor before microwaving according to the recipe below.
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup mushrooms, finely chopped (pulse in food processor)
- 3/4 cup finely chopped California walnuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- Microwave shallots and butter in 1-quart casserole on high for 2 minutes.
- Add flour; stir to make smooth paste.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients except walnuts and chives.
- Microwave on high, uncovered, 5-6 minutes, until mushrooms become shiny and limp.
- Fold in walnuts and chives.
- Pack into crock or bowl and chill.
- Serve pate with crackers, sliced baguette, or thin slices of raw pear or apple.